Recovering data from tape can be done in no time; whether you have lost tape data due to software problems or backup failures, overwritten tape media, experienced a tape drive failure, or have physical tape damage.
With the Ontrack® Data Recovery pre-service data recovery evaluation, you’ll know exactly what data you’ll get back from your tape media before making decisions to proceed with a recovery service.
Tape Media Recovery Capabilities
Offering world leading data recovery solutions for tape recovery, Ontrack Data Recovery services recover data from all legacy tape architectures and media formats:
- LTO formats including LTO1, LTO2, LTO3, LTO4
- Super DLT, DLT8000, DLT7000, DLT II, DLT III, DLT IV, TK50/TK70
- Sony AIT, AIT2 and AIT3
- Travan Data Cartridge
- 1/2" Open Reel and Cartridges such as 7-track, 9-track, 3480, 3490, 3570, 3590, 9840
- DC2000 mini data cartridge
- And many more....
Backup Formats Recovery Capabilities
- Legato Networker
- Veritas Netbackup
- Microsoft tape backup
- Unix tape backup (cpio, dump and tar)
- And many more....
Causes of Tape Failure and Data Loss
- Corruption - operational error, mishandling of the tape or accidental overwrites caused by inserting or partially formatting the wrong tape
- Physical damage - broken tapes, dirty drives, expired tapes and damage caused by fire, flood or other natural disaster
- Software upgrades - inability for data on tape to be read by new application or servers
Tape Recovery Process
Data recovery for tape media is much more than simply replacing parts. The dedicated R&D staff at Ontrack Data Recovery has 20 years experience in building cutting edge tape recovery tools and data recovery processes.
- Tape recoveries are performed in dust-free cleanroom environments
- Tapes and tape drives are carefully dismounted, examined and processed
- Proprietary tools “force” the drive to read around the bad area to recover your tape data successfully
- Tapes are imaged, a copy of the disk is created, and recovered data is transferred to the new system
NOTICE: Attempting to recover tape data on your own, or through an inexperienced data recovery provider, may lead to further damage. Select a data recovery provider with resources, expertise and experience you can trust.